Prayer

Prayer

Monday, March 19, 2012

Do Something!

"Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." 1Cor. 9:26

It is perhaps my biggest pet peeve in the gym. Maybe this is because it is so rampant. I work out at 3 different gym locations, depending on my day’s schedule. This problem plagues each of them! You know you have seen it, and maybe (gasp!) even done it yourself! Most of the time while you are at the gym to work, but not today. Today, you are just going through the motions. You would rather “fake it till you make it” rather than not show up at all. You know it will be harder to show up if you just pass on working out today. Rather to burn maybe 100 or 200 calories instead of your usual 500. So you just sit on the bench, dazing, thinking about how you wish you could muster up some strength, discipline, and motivation.

You see the evil looks from the other gym patrons as they are begging to use the machine you have chosen to rest your butt on. We catch the looks and it pushes us some. Or it doesn’t. This works in the gym (if it works anywhere) but not in the rest of life. Yes, we may think we have so called “haters” but really the only ones to motivate us are ourselves. Just like when we lift, everything has a purpose. We lift light with more reps to burn fat. We lift heavy with little reps to build muscle mass. Everything we do in life has a purpose, if not, it does about as much good as using a piece of gym equipment as a couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment